UNT head coach Dan McCarney had his weekly press conference today, and as always there were a few interesting tidbits. Here were some of the highlights:
– McCarney thanked UNT’s fans for showing up for the Mean Green’s game against MTSU. He also mentioned that getting the fan base back has been a longer and more difficult process than he anticipated.
– UNT came out of its game against the Blue Raiders with no new injuries.
– UNT is still expecting defensive end Quenton Brown to return at some point this year, although McCarney wouldn’t put a timetable on when he will be back.
– McCarney said that Louisiana Tech is good up front defensively and will present a challenge.
– I asked a little about how UNT feels about where it stands at the mid-way point of the season. UNT feels good about being 3-3, but feels it could have won at least one more game.
– One of the biggest surprises of the first half of the season has been UNT’s special teams, which have improved over last year, thanks to punter Blake Macek, kicker Zach Paul and deep snapper Tony Johnson. Macek was a question mark, while Paul and Johnson weren’t even supposed to play.
– UNT’s players have gone to McCarney and talked about ways the team can alter its routine on the road to improve its performance. No one is talking specifics.