There were a few interesting tidbits to come out of the Dan McCarney press conference. Here were the highlights:
– UNT still does not know what the status of Reggie Pegram will be for the Rice game. McCarney addressed that right off the bat. He also said there will be no update the rest of the week. UNT is going to keep it a secret whether he will play or not. Or at least that is the plan.
– McCarney was very complimentary of Rice. He said he has a lot of respect for the Owls and what they have accomplished.
– UNT’s players spoke a lot about how they hope to have a big crowd at this week’s game. McCarney talked about what a big opportunity it is for UNT to showcase its program on national television against a Texas rival.
– McCarney also continued to talk about how much he loves this team and the Mean Green’s senior class. One gets a sense that several of those seniors are special to UNT’s head coach.
– I asked a little about the improvement of UNT’s offense. The Mean Green scored 55 points last week against Southern Miss and seems to be headed in the right direction. McCarney gave Mike Canales some credit. I asked Derek Thompson who has been more highly criticized, him or Canales. I got a laugh on that one. Thompson didn’t have an answer.
– In an interesting side note, wide receivers coach Mike Grant called the plays on UNT’s last scoring drive after Canales went down to the field near the end of the game. UNT got a late turnover and an unexpected possession. Canales has called the plays from the box this season.