There was a general feeling of optimism and satisfaction surrounding the Dan McCarney press conference/player interview free-for-all today over at Apogee Stadium. Winning consecutive games for the first time in forever will generally do that for a team.
The best news was that there really is no news in terms of injuries or other issues heading into the week. Here are a few highlights:
– Zac Whitfield was named Conference USA’s Defensive Player of the Week after intercepted a couple of passes in UNT’s win over Louisiana Tech. Whitfield really has done a good job bouncing back from a tough start to the year.
– Zach Orr received the game ball after picking up his 300th career tackle against Tech.
– The topic of the day was not overlooking Southern Miss this week. UNT feels like it is on a roll and headed toward a special season. The last thing UNT wants to do now is blow a game the Mean Green feels it should win.
– The screen pass that UNT has had picked off a couple of times this season has been forever banished from the playbook.
– A couple of UNT players have said that a few athletic department officials who spent a considerable part of their careers at Southern Miss really want to win this week’s game. I haven’t had a chance to talk to Rick Villarreal about going home yet, but yeah, he’s one of them.