The Heart of Dallas Bowl had its media call tonight. Here are a few highlights:
– The real zinger was that Rick Villarreal and Dan McCarney talked a whole lot about how important it is for UNT fans to show up on New Year’s Day.
“The fan base challenged us,” Rick Villarreal said. “Now we are challenging them.”
Villarreal believes UNT has put the product the fans asked for on the field. Now he is expecting UNT’s fans to show up and support the team.
– UNT is working on a number of promotions around the game. There is a good chance there will be an event on New Year’s Eve and a tailgate on New Year’s Day.
– UNT is working on ways to make tickets affordable for students. Villarreal mentioned that UNT might ask boosters/fans to buy an extra ticket, which could then be resold/given to a student.
– Bobby Hauck and Dan McCarney talked a little about their friendship that dates back several years. There seems to be a lot of mutual respect there.
– Hauck mentioned that he hoped every UNT graduate in the state shows up. He would like to see the Cotton Bowl full.
– McCarney and Hauck talked about the historic nature of the Cotton Bowl and what an honor it will be to play in the game.
– UNLV is loaded with key Texas players. The Rebels top running back, wide receiver and defensive back are all from Texas.