UNT split its doubleheader today. After having dinner with the wife after work, here are a few thoughts and a quick review:
The Mean Green fell to rival SMU in overtime 84-79, while the UNT men beat Wayland Baptist out of the NAIA ranks 81-77.
– The UNT women’s game was a tough blow. UNT had that game won. The Mean Green got the ball to Alexis Hyder, who got off a good shot in the lane that hung there and then rolled off at the buzzer at the end of regulation. That sent the game to overtime, where SMU guard Keena Mays took over. That shot drops for Hyder nine times out of 10. It’s just a bad break.
– UNT came back from down 18 early and showed a ton of heart.
– Janis Peterson is a flat out stud-ette. The JC transfer went off for 23 and hit six 3s. Peterson did take 22 shots to get to 23, but she is going to really help UNT.
– As far as the men’s game goes, UNT didn’t inspire a whole lot of confidence with its win over the Pioneers. Wayland Baptist is pretty good, but is still an NAIA team. The Pioneers had a 3 that would have tied it if it dropped in the last minute.
– Colin Voss had arguably his best game at UNT, finishing with 18 points and 10 rebounds. He is really coming on the last couple of games and has two straight double-doubles.
– Alzee Williams is still Al. He had 24 points and is continuing to have a good season.
– UNT is really hanging its hat on the fact that guys like Voss, J.T. Taylor and a host of other guys who are new to UNT or sat out last year will really come on in the next few weeks.