Update 11:00 — The morning session, which had UNT’s coaches and players wrapped up a few minutes ago. Here are a few highlights:
– Dan McCarney called UNT’s incoming freshman class maybe the most athletic that he has brought in during his time at UNT.
– The quarterback race is wide open. When practice begins, Andrew McNulty and Josh Greer will rotate with the first and second teams. Dajon Williams and Connor Means will rotate with the third and fourth teams. UNT isn’t close to deciding who to go with at this point.
– McCarney, Lemon and Akunne all said that UNT is starting to develop an identity as a team. A few guys who were never leadership types in the past like Carlos Harris are moving into those roles after the departure of Zach Orr and guys like him.
– Reggie Pegram looks like he has fully recovered from the knee injury that kept him out of the last five games of last season. McCarney indicated that UNT will rotate backs again this year and that Antoinne Jimmerson still has some work to do.
– Lemon that UNT will always start with the base goal of winning six games, but he would like to win a conference title.
– Linebacker Sed Ellis and tight end Chris Loving are still suspended, but are working out on campus. They are not with the team. McCarney said he would decide before the beginning of two-a-days is both will be reinstated.
Update 8:50 — Executive playoff director Bill Hancock says that the playoff will not detract from Saturdays in college football.
Update 8:45 — C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said that the model for college athletics is under review and that change is on the horizon. The move to full cost of attendance scholarships is a change the league supports.
Today is the big day, or at least one of the big days leading up to UNT’s season opener at Texas. It’s Conference USA media day.
I will update the blog throughout the day with notes and tidbits.
Leading off — The one news item that I haven’t mentioned on the blog yet is that David Ash has been named the starter at Texas. That kills one of the interesting storylines of UNT’s season-opener — UNT taking on Texas with Guyer grad Jerrod Heard starting at quarterback for the Longhorns.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Heard at least sees the field in the opener, though.
I just ran into Dan McCarney, Cyril Lemon and Derek Akunne in the lobby. The trio will represent the Mean Green today during interviews later in the day. Lemon was named to the preseason all-conference team along with fellow guard Mason Y’Barbo.