Here are a few quick-hitters from Dan McCarney’s press conference today. The video at the top of this post is of wide receiver Carlos Harris and linebacker Derek Akunne, who shared their thoughts on playing the Longhorns.
– UNT will announce its starting quarterback some time this afternoon.
– Punter Eric Keena, defensive end Andy Flusche and offensive lineman Michael Banogu, a trio of walk-ons, were awarded scholarships.
– Tight end Chris Loving and linebacker Sed Ellis have been reinstated after their summer suspension. Both were charged with theft over the summer.
– Defensive back Kishawn McClain, running backs Jeff Wilson and Willy Ivery and defensive end Tillman Johnson will all play as true freshmen this season.
– Freshman Trevor Moore won the kicking job.
– Aderius Epps, a former Cedar Hill offensive lineman who began his career at Kansas State, who we wrote about a few weeks ago, has joined UNT as a walk-on.
“Texas is a great program, a storied program that has been successful for so many years. Charlie Strong, the head coach, and Vance Bedford, the defensive coordinator, and I won national championship together. I know what Texas has on the field and with their coaching staff. I know exactly what kind of team is going to come out there Saturday night. It will be a really tough, physical and talented team that we have to get ready for. We have known that for a long time.”
– Dan McCarney