Darvin Kidsy arrested on warrant for accident involving personal injury or death



North Texas wide receiver Darvin W. Kidsy Jr. turned himself in to Denton police on Friday morning and was arrested in connection with an incident involving a car that struck two pedestrians.

An arrest warrant for an accident involving personal injury or death was issued for Kidsy on Jan. 8. The warrant details the circumstances surrounding the accident that occurred  at 2:20 a.m. on Saturday Dec. 5 at the intersection of South Carroll Boulevard and Sycamore Street.

The charge can be deemed a third degree felony.

According to the arrest affidavit that included eye-witness accounts, a maroon pickup turned left on to Carroll, crossed all three lanes and jumped on to the sidewalk, striking two pedestrians. Both victims were transported to the hospital. One suffered severe trauma, including broken bones and teeth.

Police located a car fitting the description provided by witnesses at 8:15 a.m. the same day at 14 Fifty-One Apartments, where Kidsy lives.

Kidsy, 20, called 911 at 4:30 p.m., just hours after the accident and reported that his car was stolen. When questioned, he told police he was at home playing video games the night of the accident.

Police later obtained a search warrant for Kidsy’s cell phone to help determine his whereabouts at the time of the accident. Police determined that Kidsy was not at home the night of the crash and was in the area near Dusty’s Bar & Grill, located at 119 S. Elm St.

Police later questioned Jamal Marshall, Jakii Moore and Kerrick Rhone, Kidsy’s roommates to help determine Kidsy’s whereabouts at the time of the accident. . All three were members of the UNT football team last season.

Police also interviewed employees at Dusty’s Bar who indicated that they were not sure, but believe they saw Kidsy there that night.

Police also reviewed video obtained from the intersection where the accident occurred and identified Kidsy’s car jumping the curb into a parking lot on the south side of Mulberry Street, making a circle in the lot and then diving around cars stopped at a flashing red light on the wrong side of the road at the time of the crash.

Marshall declined to identify the driver of the vehicle, but stated to the police that he was not the driver and expressed concern for Kidsy. Marshall never denied that he was a passenger at the time of the crash. Police also obtained a warrant for Marshall’s cell phone to help determine his location at the time of the crash.

Kidsy’s bond has yet to be determined, according to Denton jail records.

“The athletic department has been made aware of the arrest of a member of the North Texas football team, although the information available to us is limited,” UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said in a prepared statement. “We have reached out to make sure that university entities responsible for the follow up and investigation of this matter are aware of this situation and we will receive our updates through those offices. Based on my knowledge it wouldn’t be prudent for me to comment any further on this matter.”

Kidsy’s name has been removed from UNT’s online roster.

The former Fort Bend Elkins standout was a key contributor for UNT last season, when he finished fourth on the team with 401 all-purpose yards. He caught 17 passes for 240 yard and two touchdowns while also returning punts and kicks.

Kidsy returned both a punt and a kickoff for a touchdown in the 2014 season and was in position to take on a larger role in the 2016 season as UNT moves to a spread offense under new coach Seth Littrell.

Carlos Harris was UNT’s leading receiver as a senior in 2015, when he finished with 61 receptions for 727 yards and seven touchdowns. Kidsy was expected to help fill the void left by Harris’ departure.

Denton Record-Chronicle staff writer Bj Lewis contributed to this report

Comments are closed.