North Texas knocked off Rice 42-35 in double overtime at Rice Stadium. Here are five thoughts on the Mean Green’s victory.
1. Any way one slices it, this was huge for the Mean Green
UNT is rebuilding under Seth Littrell and needs all the momentum/building blocks/positive momentum it can get. A win over Rice certainly qualifies. Was it a perfect game? No, but the Mean Green did what they needed to do to win. That is all that matters.
2. Jeffrey Wilson was big for the Mean Green tonight
Wilson is UNT’s best offensive player and really came through when the Mean Green needed him. Wilson finished with 157 yards and three touchdowns. He is a special player for the Mean Green.
3. UNT has some secondary offensive weapons who were overlooked tonight
Kenny Buyers caught four passes for 102 yards, Willy Ivery scored two touchdowns, including the game-winner. UNT might not win this game without them.
4. Mason Fine continues to develop
UNT’s freshman quarterback continues to get better every week. He threw for 224 yards and a touchdown and managed the game well.
5. UNT’s offensive line is still a work in progress.
UNT changed its lineup, but still allowed five sacks. Elex Woodworth and T.J. Henson started, but Fine was still on the run quite a bit.